LAST UPDATED: 17 MARCH 2020 | 15:00 GMT +7
6 March 2020
The government of Laos has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. At present, these restrictions apply to travelers entering Laos from countries with confirmed cases of COVID-19, but travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to change with little or no advance notice. According to the enhanced measures:
- Travelers coming from a country with confirmed cases of COVID-19 who do not have fever or other symptoms related to COVID-19 will be asked to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms for 14 days. In some cases, travelers may also be asked to self-quarantine for 14 days.
- Travelers coming from a country with confirmed cases of COVID-19 who have fever and/or other symptoms of COVID-19 will be sent to a hospital for monitoring and COVID-19 testing.
- As of 4 March: For all travelers to Lao’s two international airports, there is a body temperature check machines in both LPQ and VTE when you land. People with fever are requested to step aside for recheck.
- Laos still has not been officially diagnosed with Coronavirus. Several checks were done and supervised by WHO.
- Lao authorities have cancelled all group events like concerts and sports games, including the National Games due to be held in Xieng Khuang.
- Lao culture and lifestyle reduce the chances of virus Propagation, people do not show affection in public, and hardly have personal contacts like handshakes or hugs. People tend to live in detached houses and with the small population, crowded areas are not the norm.
- Laos has toughened its screening procedures for foreigners who wish to enter the country after visiting South Korea and China, citing coronavirus concerns. All foreign nationals who have visited either China or South Korea in the past 14 days before entering Laos will be subject to tougher screening processes, according to South Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Visitors entering Laos from China or South Korea must fill in a health declaration form when entering Laos, while those who show symptoms of the virus such as fever will need to pass a close examination up to three times, the ministry said, without providing further details.
Government Travel Advisories
- US Embassy & Consulate in Laos: Click here.
- US Department of State Travel Advisory, Laos: Click here.
Updates on the Global Spread of the Virus